Sunday, September 9, 2012

Corn Salad

WHY HAVE I NOT EATEN MORE CORN SALAD IN MY LIFE!?

Last weekend, we went camping and while camping, a friend made an absolutely delicious corn salad.  It was so bright and fresh and delicious; I could have eaten the whole bowl.

I came home and quickly did my best to recreate it.  Here's my recipe:

3 cobs of corn
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
1 avocado, chopped

Dressing:

Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 Tbsps olive oil
1 tsp summer savory
Pinch salt
Pinch pepper

I boiled the corn until it was cooked, but still a little bit firm.  I let it cool and then cut it off the cob.  I like the way that some of the kernels stick together in clumps so I broke it up pretty roughly. I mixed the corn with the onion, tomato, red pepper and avocado.  I combined all the ingredients for the dressing but didn't add all of it to the salad.  I suppose "dress to taste" would be the appropriate instruction and for me, all it needed was a very little bit just to tie the salad together.

A couple of thoughts:

I would like to try the recipe with grilling the corn instead of boiling it.  And when we had the salad while camping, we used cherry tomatoes sliced in half and I liked that better than a big tomato chopped.  It's a bit more visually appealing too!

And lastly, it's a great fridge clean-out recipe because there are all kinds of other ingredients that could go into this salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment