Monday, March 7, 2011

The Mandolin

John bought me a mandolin for Christmas. I have wanted one ever since we got married, but we didn't have any luck finding one until he found an out-of-the-way specialty cooking store while doing his Christmas shopping.  And voila!

Now that I have one, I haven't been very diligent about using it and for the first couple of months, it has sat on the counter untouched. So last week, we were determined to put it to work!

Taco night provided the perfect opportunity.  We used the mandolin to dice both the onions and the tomatoes, with great success.  It's actually pretty impressive how well it works and how easy it is to use! And to clean!

Now that I have a sense of how it works and what all the pieces are for, I can better imagine making more regular and frequent use of the mandolin.  I just need to remember that it's there!

Oh, and I will always use the guard for slicing because the blades are mega-sharp.  It makes me very nervous when professional chefs just throw things through the mandolin with no guard! 

1 comment: