Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ingredients of the Week: Leeks and Butternut Squash

Last week, WH laid down this double-barrelled challenge: Leeks AND Butternut squash, in the same recipe.

I've cooked butternut squash before in a carrot and squash soup but I've never cooked leeks. 

A little dig around the internet found a recipe from Epicurious.com for Risotto with Butternut Squash and Leeks.  Our increasing fondnes for risotto made this recipe a perfect find.

Can I just take a pause here to say that roasted butternut squash may be my new favourite vegetable?  So sweet and flavourful and rich...  Just thinking about it makes me drool.

Anyhoo, the recipe was a great success, highly delicious and made good next day leftovers.  I like the leek flavour though I found that they can be a little bit stringy.  I would like to experiment with making my own vegetable stock and using it in this recipe instead of chicken stock to make it truly vegetarian and perhaps give it a more interesting flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment