Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What kind of cook are you?

My husband and I cook very differently.

I am a clean-up-as-I-go kind of cook. I read the recipe in full, I take all the ingredients out before I start cooking, I do all the prep first and I put the ingredients away as I'm finished with them. I take advantage of lulls in the cooking process to load the dishwasher, tidy my space etc. My hope when the meal is finished is that there is very little left to clean up other than the dishes we've eaten on. I relish the order of it all.

My husband creates wonderful chaos in the kitchen when he cooks. Ingredients everwhere, messes galore, all the dishes and utensils strewn about. He cooks as he reads through the recipe, doing one step before reading the next. He's often digging through the pantry madly with one hand while whisking wildly with the other. When he can't find what he's looking for, he makes it up. He relishes the adrenaline.

In the end, neither style is better than the other. We both make fantastic meals, if I do say so myself.

So, what kind of cook are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment