Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Guacamole

So I mentioned home-made guacamole yesterday! Here's my recipe (which isn't groundbreaking or particularly original, but it does make fabulous, fresh and delicious guac.)

2 ripe avocados
1 tomato
1/2 large red onion
dash of lemon juice
salt and pepper
cilantro*

Chop your avocado using a food processor, or chop it by hand and mush it with a fork. I like chunks of avocado in my guacamole, so I don't puree it. Texture is good! Chop your tomato and add it to the avocado. Chop the onion finely and add it as well. Stir. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and cilantro to taste. Stir well.

You can eat this fresh, but the flavours are richer if the guacamole sits in the fridge for a time (one hour, two hours, overnight... etc.)

The list of things for which guacamole is a valuable addition is long. We eat guacamole with Doritos or home-made pita chips or we put it on sandwiches, burgers, smokies, etc. I have also been known to just eat it. Because... well... yum.

*I think that this recipe is the only thing that I put cilantro in regularly, so I buy it in a tube that I can freeze. I'm sure that frozen tubed cilantro is in the master chef's book of no-nos, but I like it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment